Lovely Background

Thursday, June 18, 2009

~ Sophia and Claire are 3 Weeks Old ~





























It is hard to believe that Sophia and Claire are already 3 weeks old. It has flown by. At times it makes me sad but we have accomplished so much in those three weeks. Matt and I are definitely in love with our little girls. Each day they do something new that keeps us smiling all day long.
Last week I found out how hard it is to be a Mom and sick at the same time. I got a horrible cold and sore throat that really zapped me of my energy for a couple of days. Being a Mom doesn't stop when you are sick. I have even more respect for Mommy's than I already did. I am thankful to be on the mend.
The girls had their first professional photo session. They did a great job. The few pictures we have seen so far turned out great. I think the girls are extremely photogenic!!! I love pictures so capturing them early on was so important to me. They change so quickly I didn't want to miss getting photos of their little hands, feet, etc.
I met with another pediatric orthopedic doctor on Monday and got a second opinion. I am thankful I went with my instinct. I liked Dr. Berrios much better. He seemed to have much better bedside manners and took the time to really talk with me about Sophia's club foot. He made me feel much better about her prognosis and the process she will go through over the next year or so. We had Dr. Berrios put her second cast on that day and will continue working with him going forward. Sophia did such a good job. She stayed calm while they took her current cast off and only cried a little bit while they applied her new cast. We go back on Friday for her third cast.
The girls and I went on our first road trip this week. Matt had to travel to Cleveland for work. I wasn't ready to be alone yet so I headed to my parents for two nights. My sisters, nieces and nephews were there as well. The girls did such a great job in the car. They slept the entire way! I am amazed at how much stuff I had to take with us for only 3 days. Between the girls and Georgie we had a full car. I am not sure if we could have fit Matt in. HA!! It feels good to know that I can successfully get out and about when I need to. We had a great time in Locust Grove and look forward to many more visits this summer. Their is something so relaxing and comforting about being at my parents house. We are patiently waiting for Matt to get home tonight. I know Matt is so excited to see the girls. He has really missed them but enjoyed a few nights of good rest.
I have successfully accomplished my goal of tandem breastfeeding with the girls. It has made a huge difference in my energy level and opened the door to additional sleep and time for other tasks throughout the day. It is difficult at times but I am lucky to have very cooperative girls. and a wonderful twins nursing pillow. It is an interesting process to watch....my sisters just laugh at the sight of it.
We have good and bad nights of sleep. Sophia is still our easy one. You can lay her down and she'll put herself to sleep 90% of the time. Claire on the other hand wants to be held and close to you at all times. After trial and error, Aunt Meghan found that the one solution that works is to allow Claire to sleep in her car seat. She seems to like it. I guess we'll stick with this solution until we get to Babies R Us to buy something to keep her elevated and snug.
Matt has developed nicknames for the girls. I knew it wouldn't take long. He calls his Sophia "Bugsy" because she bugs her eyes out a lot...she gets so excited and alert. He calls Claire his "Claire Bear" but my family and I just call her "little Matt".
The girls are becoming more alert every day. They tend to stay awake longer after each feeding now. I enjoy being able to sit and talk to them and smile at their funny little expressions. It is so cute!!! I have to admit that having twins is extremely difficult. I often feel guilty because I have to split my time between them. I can only console one at at time which is sometimes hard. Between both of them I don't find much time to make phonecalls, get on email, etc. so I apologize to those of you who feel I have forgotten about you.
We are really enjoying being parents. Our girls are beautiful and bring so much joy to our lives. I can't imagine life without them. They are perfect.
I hope you enjoy the most recent pictures!!!

1 comments:

Leslie said...

good to hear you are doing so well. can you imagine if you'd had 3? then'd you'd really be in trouble! where's the pictures of the cast? whatever were you thinking?! i bet it's precious!